The goal of our work is:
‘To increase understanding of poverty among parliamentarians and to seek all party solutions, while drawing on a range of outside people and knowledge’.
Main activities in the last parliament
In 2018-19, the APPG on Poverty ran an inquiry into the Poverty Premium – the dilemma that people living in poverty pay more for essential goods and services. Recent research shows that low-income households pay a poverty premium of £490 per year.
The inquiry examined how and why poorer households experience the poverty premium and explored ways in which this can be addressed by government and business.
Please sign up to the mailing list if you would like to be kept informed about the work of the APPG on Poverty.
Officers of the APPG on Poverty as of April 2021
- Kevin Hollinrake MP – Co-Chair
- Baroness Ruth Lister – Co-Chair
- Afzal Khan MP – Vice-Chair
- Lord Bird – Vice-Chair
- Lyn Brown MP – Vice-Chair
- Tony Lloyd MP – Vice-Chair
- Baroness Christine Blower – Member
2021 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of Officer-only meeting on 30 March 2021
- Minutes of Officer-only meeting on 28 January 2021
- Minutes of evidence session on 14 January 2021 including oral testimonies from organisations and experts by experience.
2020 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of first online meeting on 1 December 2020 featuring a presentation from Matthew Oakley on the Social Metrics Commission’s measure of poverty.
- Minutes of inaugural meeting on 12 February 2020 including election of officers and update note on feedback received in relation to the poverty premium inquiry report.
2019 APPG on Poverty meetings
2018 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on business solutions to the poverty premium (utilities) on 12 December 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on business solutions to the poverty premium (financial services) on 13 November 2018 and written evidence from rent-to-own retailer, BrightHouse
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on the role of consumer protection in addressing the poverty premium on 16 October 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on the lived experience of the poverty premium on 10 July 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on Fairer Markets on 18 April 2018
2017 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of EGM and parliamentary launch of the APPG on Poverty’s inquiry into the poverty premium on 12 Dec 2017 and speaking note from presentation by Sara Davies, Personal Finance Research Centre, University of Bristol
- Minutes of joint meeting of the APPG on Poverty and the APPG on Debt & Personal Finance 13 Nov 2017
- Minutes of joint meeting of the APPG on Poverty and the APPG on London 17 Oct 2017
- Minutes of meeting and election of officers 11 Oct 2017
- Income Expenditure Statement
2016 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes from meeting and election of officers
- Income and expenditure statement
- Meeting note from presentation by Tess Lanning, Head of Business Development at the Living Wage Foundation
Previous Reports and Publications
In previous years the APPG focused on: