The goal of our work is:
‘To increase understanding of poverty among parliamentarians and to seek all party solutions, while drawing on a range of outside people and knowledge’.
Main activities in the last parliament
In 2020-21, the APPG on Poverty ran a short inquiry on the £20 uplift to universal credit and working tax credits and the impact of not maintaining the uplift permanently as well as the impact of not extending it to legacy and other benefits.
The APPG received written submissions from over 20 organisations and individuals. Following this, the APPG held an evidence session over Zoom where the group heard evidence from people with lived experience of the social security system along with a variety of third sector organisations.
You can read the report summarising the group’s findings here.
Please sign up to the mailing list if you would like to be kept informed about the work of the APPG on Poverty.
Officers of the APPG on Poverty as of June 2022
- David Linden MP – Chair and Registered Contact
- Baroness Ruth Lister – Co-Chair
- Baroness Philippa Stroud – Officer
- Afzal Khan MP – Officer
- Lyn Brown MP – Officer
- Tony Lloyd MP – Officer
- Beth Winter MP – Officer
- Cat Smith MP – Member
- Robin Millar MP – Member
2022 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of AGM on 8 June 2022 including election of officers and co-chairs
- Minutes of Child Poverty Action Group’s launch event for the Ending the Need for Food Banks project, hosted by the APPG on Poverty
2021 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of AGM on 26 May 2021 including election of officers and income and expenditure statement for 2020/21.
- Minutes of Officer-only meeting on 30 March 2021
- Minutes of Officer-only meeting on 28 January 2021
- Minutes of evidence session on 14 January 2021 including oral testimonies from organisations and experts by experience.
2020 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of first online meeting on 1 December 2020 featuring a presentation from Matthew Oakley on the Social Metrics Commission’s measure of poverty.
- Minutes of inaugural meeting on 12 February 2020 including election of officers and update note on feedback received in relation to the poverty premium inquiry report.
2019 APPG on Poverty meetings
2018 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on business solutions to the poverty premium (utilities) on 12 December 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on business solutions to the poverty premium (financial services) on 13 November 2018 and written evidence from rent-to-own retailer, BrightHouse
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on the role of consumer protection in addressing the poverty premium on 16 October 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on the lived experience of the poverty premium on 10 July 2018
- Minutes of poverty premium inquiry evidence session on Fairer Markets on 18 April 2018
2017 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes of EGM and parliamentary launch of the APPG on Poverty’s inquiry into the poverty premium on 12 Dec 2017 and speaking note from presentation by Sara Davies, Personal Finance Research Centre, University of Bristol
- Minutes of joint meeting of the APPG on Poverty and the APPG on Debt & Personal Finance 13 Nov 2017
- Minutes of joint meeting of the APPG on Poverty and the APPG on London 17 Oct 2017
- Minutes of meeting and election of officers 11 Oct 2017
- Income Expenditure Statement
2016 APPG on Poverty meetings
- Minutes from meeting and election of officers
- Income and expenditure statement
- Meeting note from presentation by Tess Lanning, Head of Business Development at the Living Wage Foundation
Previous Reports and Publications
In previous years the APPG focused on: